Major or Support Course Substitution

Processing Your Request

  1. Obtain the Major or Support Course Substitution/Exception form from your department office or advising center.
  2. Go to your your advisor for help in filling out the top half of the form.  Have your advisor check the consultation box and, if appropriate, make a recommendation (pro or con) and sign.

    * Check with your advisor to see if you also need to get the signature of the Chair/Head of the Department offering the required courseIf yes, get this person's recommendation (pro or con) and signature.

    * Check with your advisor to see if the course is also being used to satisfy a GE requirement.  If yes, make sure to specify on the form which GE area.  You do not need the approval of the GE Area Chair on the form.
  3. Get the recommendation (pro or con) and signature of your own Department/Chair.
  4. Get the recommendation (pro or con) and signature of your College Dean.  The Dean's office will forward your petition to the Office of the Registrar.
  5. If necessary, the GE Director/Vice Provost for Academic Programs and Planning will review your petition to approve or disapprove and signs.
  6. The Offie of the Registrar will notify you of the decision regarding your petition.

Please allow 3 weeks to process your petition.


Related Content

<script type="text/javascript">
  var _gaq = _gaq || [];
  _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-42881706-1']);
  (function() {
    var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
    ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '';
    var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);